Multiple Deployment Options
We can implement ClinicTracker in the environment that suits you best: client/server, terminal services, or as a hosted application (SaaS). You'll see the requirements for each installation option within the tabs to your left. Because it's not always easy to determine which environment to choose, please don't hesitate to get our opinion by contacting us.
Why Do We Use a Hybrid Approach Instead of Web-Only?
While some EHR companies have opted to develop products that are completely web-based, we chose a hybrid route so we could offer our customers the best of both worlds. A desktop application, because it is inherently more flexible than web-only programs, allowed us to create the user-interface that customers have raved about for so many years. With ClinicTracker, you can navigate easily between tabs and screens without having to wait for pages to reload. Having multiple parts of a patient chart open at once is no problem. You also don't need to worry about browser compatibility, an unavailable internet connection, or another server going down.
Regardless of which method you choose for implementing ClinicTracker, it's easy to access the program remotely. The process by which you enable remote access depends on which of the deployment options you select. If you run the application locally, your IT department will enable that feature on your server (although, chances are, they've already configured it for other applications). If you are using our hosted (SaaS) option, you will automatically have a remote-access solution from anywhere in the world.
Local Install - Client/Server
This setup involves installing the ClinicTracker software on your computers (clients), all of which save data to the same files on your server. In this instance, individual computers run the software, but one server holds the data. The advantage to this configuration is that it generally requires no additional hardware investment. As long as you have a networked drive that is accessible to all users, you likely don't need any adjustments to your IT infrastructure.
For the client machines, we recommend at least Windows 7 with a 1 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM. We also require Microsoft Word (version 97 or higher) for paperwork output and the .NET Framework (version 3.5 or higher). For the server, the requirements will depend on your number of users and level of usage. In general, we recommend Windows Server 2012 or higher with at least 4GB of RAM.
Local Install - Terminal Server
In a Terminal Server environment, both the application and data reside on your server (as opposed to local computers). In other words, install the software once directly on the server, then users simply use their computer, smartphone, or tablet as a way of connecting to the server to access that program using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). Both Windows and Macintosh computers have RDP applications, as does Google Chromebook.
Many agencies have adopted this method because it makes installation and ongoing support/maintenance easy. There is one server to keep up to date, secured, and backed up, rather than many individual workstations. It also gives end-users the convenience of a web-based application with the experience of a rich Windows-based environment.
For the server, we recommend at least Windows Server 2012 in Terminal Server mode with at least 4GB RAM.
ClinicTracker Hosting Service
This option follows the same strategy as what we described for Local Install - Terminal Server, the difference being that we host the server. Rather than connecting to a server you purchase, maintain, and back up, your users would instead log into ours.
With our hosting service, you also have the opportunity to access ClinicTracker over the web. All you need is a device (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS) and an internet connection. We handle everything else. Once we have set up your account on our hosting service, you can log into your instance of ClinicTracker from any computer in the world. No hassle, no delay.
With your version of ClinicTracker on our secure and managed server, you are relieved of all IT responsibilities and concerns. Your managed hosting plan includes the following services:
- Server Build
- Operating System
- Hosting (keeping the server online and accessible)
- Software/Operating System Updates
- Anti-virus protection
- Daily on-site, weekly off-site backups
- 24/7 monitoring
- Daily 8x5 visual monitoring of your systems
- Hot-swappable hardware on-site
- Warning notification to our Service Center 24/7 via email and pager
- Ample storage space on the server
- Verify security best practices are operating correctly on a routine basis
- 24/7 reliability and security
- Leading edge network and connectivity solutions
- Secure storage of all confidential information
- Highest availability and uptime
The Advantages of Outsourcing Your Hosting Service
Here's further information about our hosting services. We want you to see that, with this method, you don't have to do anything to get the highest level of security and backup maintenance. We take care of all IT responsibilities and protect your data.
- Automatic Backups: Many agencies claim to have backup procedures in place, but often times they are inadequate for critical data protection. Making frequent backups on a second server drive or on disks stored physically near the server do no good if there is a fire in the server room. We perform complete nightly backups that are stored securely on-site in a separate location from the server. These backups are taken to a secure off-site location weekly for additional protection.
- Enhanced Security: Our enterprise-class data center has multiple levels of physical security systems, including electronic key scanners to control entry and access at all interior and exterior doors. Entering the actual data center requires an escort by authorized personnel. Our strict security measures ensure a reliable, safe environment for your IT operations.
- Fire Protection: Our data center is protected by an early warning fire suppression system with both smoke and high temperature detectors. It also has a Dry Pipe, with a double interlock fire suppression system.
- Uninterrupted Power: Our data center is fed power through highly redundant and efficient power systems and backed up by generators that can keep the site running at full load for 24 hours with hot refuel capability, without requiring power from any direct electric grid. The parallel UPS systems with battery backup are redundantly supplied by diversely distributed utility. The diverse power routes and redundant switching infrastructure help ensure your connections are optimized, both in speed and performance.
- Precision Environment: Our data center is well equipped with full data-grade HVAC (Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning) system – maximizing your equipment's performance and ensuring continuous operations.
- Connectivity: Our network is well supported with dual connections provided by two different providers - ensuring fast network connectivity and redundancy regardless of volume peaks, near-100% uptime, and instant response for hosted business applications and servers.
- Firewalls: Custom firewalls and port filtering keep unauthorized users from gaining access to systems and data. Firewall rules, or Access Control Lists (ACLs), can be designed to allow access to services from specific places on the Internet or IP addresses, so that customers can provide access to a select group of people and not the general public. We can work with each customer individually to design the appropriate firewall rules for their unique business needs.
- Virtual Private Networks: If our customers need more security than firewalls and port filtering can provide, we also offer dedicated Virtual Private Network (VPN) endpoints. VPNs are used as a way to encrypt all the network traffic between two locations. A customer may need this for regulatory compliance or just for peace of mind, but we can setup, manage, and maintain a VPN endpoint to suit various needs.
- Ongoing Monitoring and Audits: Our 24/7 staff monitors our servers for performance. If the systems encounter faults or disruptions, we can detect and address those problems in real time. We also proactively scan all of our servers for common misconfigurations and errors.
- Patch Management: Keeping track of operating system/software patches can be challenging. We relieve that responsibility by monitoring the releases, installing patches, and making sure our customer's servers are up to date.
- Operating System Hardening: While security is becoming more of a focus to Operating System (OS) vendors, OS hardening is the easiest and best way to minimize a computer's exposure to current and future threats. Out of the box, most Operating Systems are configured insecurely and need to be made secure before placed on the network. We utilize years of experience to harden the OS so that when our customers run their application, they are confident that there are no unnecessary services or applications and that their server is configured to keep their data secure.
- SSL Certificates: SSL Certificates/Site seals are an effective way to make sure our customers know that their site has the stamp of approval from a leading global Certificate Authority. With 256-bit encryption technology, our implementation of SSL Certificates is designed to prevent hackers from stealing private information sent via the Internet.
There are a few additional considerations when using our Hosting Service (or any Terminal Server setup):
- Printers: Not all printers are compatible with Terminal Services. We recommend PCL-Compatible Network Attached Printers, as these are most often compliant with Terminal Services requirements. USB-attached printers are less reliable. Each manufacturer typically maintains a listing of which of their printers are compatible. For example, HP has their listing here.
- Signature Tablets: Since Terminal Services does not support all USB-connected devices, Topaz has created several models that contain an internal USB-Serial adapter. As a result, you will need to purchase a tablet model ending in "BSB" in order to have our hosting service recognize the device. There is more information about signature tablet models available here.
- Other Devices: Certain other devices (e.g., scanners) may not function natively using the hosting service, or may require additional software. Please contact us if you have questions regarding a specific device you would like to use.
- Bandwidth: There are many factors that contribute to the amount of bandwidth required to access the Hosting Service (monitor size/number of monitors, color depth, graphics type, etc.). As a ballpark figure, each user session will consume roughly 20 kpbs both upstream and downstream.