Differential Chart Access
The HIPAA Privacy Rule governs the extent to which providers must safeguard a patient's privacy. A major tenet of those regulations is that only individuals who absolutely need access to a particular client's record should have it. In HIPAA parlance, this principle is known as the Minimum Necessary requirement (learn more about the HIPAA Privacy Rule).
Other EHR software programs can only limit access based on a staff member's overall role in the agency. For example, an administrator might be able to say, "All front office staff can have permission to modify demographic information, but they can't gain access to patient notes." But what if a certain administrative assistant needs access to some other parts of the record for clients in a particular subspecialty clinic? The average EHR won't let you manage those contingencies.
In typical fashion, ClinicTracker exceeds most programs in letting managers tailor features to exacting criteria. Its superiority derives from limiting access based on specific client characteristics, not general staff roles. With ClinicTracker, that same administrator can tell the program, "This staff member can have read-only access to clients in the Chemical Dependence unit who are in the Cognitive Behavior Therapy Group" and "Another staff member can have full access to the chart, but only for patients assigned to her caseload."
With ClinicTracker Connect you can make sure that only the right people with the right privileges at the right times can gain access to a client's personal data. You will always know you're able to comply with the Minimum Necessary requirement.
Here are just a few examples of how you can use ClinicTracker to control access to protected health information:
- Limit or grant access to client records based on patient group and/or place of service
- Grant a particular clinician permissions to see only the patients that have been assigned to him or her
- Specify each users' access level to various areas of the client record
ClinicTracker can enforce all of the HIPAA security requirements, even the more complex sub-rules that force differential access based on multiple patient criteria.
ClinicTracker's high-powered Scheduler has all the functionality of a Microsoft Outlook-type scheduling solution, but with far more features tailored to the nuances of a clinical setting. Having the Scheduler tied into an all-encompassing practice management and billing system means that all the information flows from one part of the system to another. Point to a scheduled event and begin documenting the appointment and writing your progress note. No need to re-enter any information about the patient, date, time, clinician, or service code. An integrated solution lets you select a scheduled patient and gain access to contact information, open balances, payor mix, and the full range of clinical information.
With ClinicTracker's Scheduler you can:
- Manage schedules for staff, patients, rooms, and groups
- View multiple schedules side-by-side
- Receive pop-up alerts on-screen when your patient is checked in
- Grant specific users read-only or full access to your schedule
- Use advanced recurrences (e.g., every third Thursday)
- Use the Find Available Appointment feature to locate open time slots for other users
- Use color-coding to distinguish different event types
- Customize your settings and create multiple favorite views that you can retrieve on-demand
- Manage a check-in sheet that shows which patients are in your office at any given time
- Track travel time and distance
One of the many powerful features of the Scheduler is its ability to check for appointment conflicts:
- Prevents/warns against double-booking staff
- Prevents/warns against double-booking an office location
- Prevents/warns against double-booking a patient or even having multiple appointments with the same service code for the same day (which might make one of the appointments non-reimbursable)
- Warns if you schedule an event outside the hours set for the staff member or the agency as a whole
The system displays a fully-detailed warning if it detects a conflict. You can then decide whether to go ahead with scheduling the event or explore other options.
The Scheduler works seamlessly with two software solutions:
ClinicTracker records all client encounters. BillingTracker generates claims and records payments. But what if you want a full financial analysis of your operation?
BillingTracker integrates with two powerful and award winning accounting systems:
- Abila MIP Fund Accounting (Community Brands) is the award-winning tool for managing payables, receivables, grants, complex allocations, projecting budgets, tracking funds, and forecasting cash flow. A tight integration with Abila MIP Fund Accounting makes converting your billing data into valuable accounting information a simple and transparent process.
- Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge NXT is the first cloud-based fundraising and relationship management solution. It's smart, all-inclusive, fully-integrated, and built with nonprofits in mind. This fundraising software, with its advanced technology, will help you grow your constituent base, cultivate new revenue streams, and expand your organization’s impact like never before.
Create Direct Integration Links
- Connect BillingTracker insurers to funding sources
- Link ClinicTracker sub-specialty programs to programs or reporting units
- Associate insurers with receivable/revenue accounts
Simple Import/Export Process
- Filter export files by program and date range
- Review export files in Notepad or our viewer utility
- Process your import files by logging directly into Abila MIP from BillingTracker or import them through Blackbaud
What is Fund Accounting?
Commercial organizations have accounting systems that measure product, division, and company performance by gain and loss of profits. Accounting systems for nonprofit organizations (and sometimes governmental agencies) only begin by measuring incoming and outgoing monies—they must do much more. Nonprofits have social and legal responsibilities that extend beyond the balance sheet. They must also carefully track and report on separate sums as they move though their programs in the forms of funds. Major donations and grants are commonly given with a set of specific and unique requirements, restrictions, and responsibilities. The associated funds are either restricted or unrestricted. Failure to demonstrate that restricted funds have been used correctly can have some serious organizational consequences, including termination of executives, loss of funding, and worst case, loss of tax-exempt status.
*Abila is part of the Community Brands family.
Abila MIP Fund Accounting
Cut hours or days off of your reporting cycle by creating the reports you need within the system. No more manipulating data with external spreadsheets or fighting with complex, external report-writing tools.
- Customize the chart of accounts to access data quickly and easily for more efficient tracking and reporting
- Automate transaction entry with a variety of tools including memorized and recurring transactions, preset distributions, and entry defaults, to boost productivity and reduce errors
- Use the dynamic drill-down analyzer to review individual transactions that make up balances on reports
- Make it easy for auditors to verify the accuracy of financial statements by maintaining a clear audit trail
United States Abila MIP Fund Accounting Reseller Partners
- Northeast: Brisbane Consulting
- Maryland and Surrounding Area: Applied Business Services, Inc.
- National: JMT Consulting
- Hawaii, Oklahoma, and Alaska: Finley & Cook, PLLC
- New England: Soft Trac and The Technology Group
Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT
- All the capabilities of the world’s leading, most widely adopted nonprofit fundraising software
- An intuitive, role-based interface that understands how nonprofit teams work
- Built-in analytics that proactively serve up recommendations for how, where and when to prioritize your efforts
- Advanced fundraising and relationship management capabilities that help you grow your constituent base, cultivate new revenue streams and expand your organization’s overall impact
- Real-time and user-friendly accessibility from any device
- Complete integration with other Blackbaud solutions, including Financial Edge NXT, the most advanced cloud accounting solution designed for and available to the nonprofit community
- The insight of the largest nonprofit community and more than 30 years of research and development by the world’s leading technology provider for nonprofits
- A forward-looking plan to connect you to the entire philanthropic community
Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) 835
Healthcare providers nationwide are waking up to the substantial benefits of electronic claim submission and reconciliation. According to the American Medical Association (AMA), tools like the electronic remittance advice (ERA) are saving medical practices approximately $10,000/year for each physician in the group.
The ERA (commonly referred to as the ANSI 835 file) is the electronic equivalent of a paper Explanation of Benefits (EOB). It indicates how much the insurer paid on the claim and identifies reasons for any denial of benefits. Prior to the ERA, staff would have to spend hours reviewing each claim, posting payments, and reconciling any errors. Now that entire process can be automated with the 835 ERA module from BillingTracker. This feature saves office staff from having to collect mail, file paper documents, manually post payments, and adjudicate claims with payors. Another advantage is that insurers pay electronic submissions faster, which improves your cash flow.
Maximize Your Time
Because working with paper remittance reports has always been a painstaking chore, agencies have been jumping at the opportunity to automate. According to studies on the benefits of using ERA, you will recoup your investment in just a few months, at most. In addition to the inevitable boost in operational efficiency, you will also eliminate errors, reduce staff time devoted to adjudicating claims, and improve cash flow.
Credit Card Processing
We have partnered with TransFirst to offer a service for processing credit card charges directly though ClinicTracker Connect. No more wasting time entering the information manually or through a standalone terminal. With a single card swipe, ClinicTracker acquires the credit card data, transmits the transaction to the payment gateway, and applies the payment to the patient's account. Patients can also pay their bills online through the Patient Portal.
Convenient Access System-Wide
You can collect copays and process credit cards at several different points within ClnicTracker:
- Patient Dashboard
- Demographic Record
- Patient Portal
Wherever you access the payment system, you use the same method: On the Collect Copay screen, enter the amount due, payment method, reference number, and any comments you might want to store. When you swipe the credit card through the card reader, the card holder's name, card number, and expiration date will automatically populate the appropriate fields. If you are accepting a payment by phone, you would simply key in this information. The system automatically applies the specified payment amount to the patient's account.
If the transaction is approved, the patient receives a receipt by email. You can also print out a paper version immediately or suggest it be printed at home through the Patient Portal. Your clinic can also keep records of patient payments by running reports based on credit card transactions.
- Simple implementation and electronic enrollment process with no contract terms
- Makes it more convenient for the patient to pay bills
- Reduces the time staff spend collecting copays and processing post-adjudication balances
- Minimizes desk clutter (the card reader is compact)
- Eliminates redundancy and reduces errors by keeping the process entirely within ClinicTracker
- Assures transactions are processed using the latest digital security in a safe and secure environment
- Help is just a call away with TransFirst’s in-house, on-shore, 24/7 customer support
Integrated Credit Card Processing Saves Money
- Record keeping and reporting are easier because transactions are posted to your bank account before any fees are charged. Service fees are deducted in one lump sum at the end of the month
- Faster payment posting (two days versus the three-day industry standard)
- No charges for declined transactions because TransFirst waives declined authorization and batch header fees
As an added benefit, TransFirst offers potential customers a complimentary Efficiency Analysis that compares your current costs for processing credit cards with what they would charge. This analysis comes with a Meet or Beat promise - they will not charge you more than you are paying now. TransFirst's commitment to meet or beat pricing means that your payment processing will be more efficient and cost effective.
With BillingTracker, you can submit claims directly to a payor so you can cut out the middleman and save money. However, many of our clients prefer using a clearinghouse for claims processing. To address that need, we developed a relationship with industry leader TriZetto Provider Solutions (formerly Gateway EDI). Thanks to a direct flow of data from ClinicTracker, TriZetto can manage the claims process and provide you with full reporting capabilities regarding claim status and your accounts receivable. Their revenue management solution monitors every transaction, identifies errors and underpayments, and automates the appeal process - saving you and your staff time and money. In concert with BillingTracker's full-featured reporting capabilities, you will enjoy a comprehensive view of your entire billing process.
Check out an informative inforgraphic from Trizetto entitled: Beware the Hidden Costs of Free Clearinghouses.
Online Appointment Management
ClinicTracker is designed to streamline and integrate every aspect of appointment management. Between a high-powered Scheduler and the Appointment Reminder Service, you'll always know you have complete control over the process. Now add to those tools the ability for your clients to manage their appointments online (through the Patient Portal), and you've gained yet another way to make sure appointments happen as scheduled. Clients don't need to call your office to ask about upcoming appointments, as they can just check online whenever it's convenient for them. This both empowers the patient with access to important information and reduces the call volume at your agency.
By navigating to the My Schedule section of the Patient Portal, clients can see their upcoming scheduled appointments. If the appointment is within a certain (configurable) number of days, they can click a link to confirm or cancel their appointment. Whatever actions they take are logged immediately into ClinicTracker's Scheduler.
Research has demonstrated that providing clients with this type of access to chart information decreases a clinic's no-show rate. ClinicTracker paves the way for you to implement a system that offers everyone access to critical information when they need it.
Many of your clients have come to expect online access to their medical records, scheduled appointments, and financial information. That’s how the patient-practice relationship has evolved in recent years (with ample encouragement from the government via HIPAA and the Meaningful Use program).
ClinicTracker's Patient Portal is designed to make it easy for your clients to interact with you and your agency securely over the web. When clients log into their portal, they have 24/7 access to information they can use to facilitate their treatment. They will also feel more connected with your agency. While improving patient engagement, you are simultaneously reducing routine phone calls, lowering your no-show rate, and improving your collections.
All aspects of the Patient Portal integrate seamlessly into our EHR. Through the portal, patients can:
- Register as a new patient and complete a registration packet your agency defines
- Access significant parts of their medical chart, including appointment history, medication lists, allergy information, and lab results
- Schedule an appointment
- View, confirm, or cancel upcoming appointments
- Attend telehealth appointments
- Complete forms your staff requests
- See the balance due, including insurance and patient responsibility
- Pay their bills online with a credit card (and print/email a receipt)
- Send messages to members of their treatment team or support staff
- Take advantage of educational resources clinicians can post
- Generate a portable medical record to view, download, or distribute
New Patient Registration
A Patient Portal embedded in an agency’s home page presents a rich opportunity to market clinical services and engage potential clients efficiently. By enabling them to register demographic information and schedule their first appointment online, you’ve made it simple for patients to connect with your services at any time. Patients who have stigmas about disclosing their health condition verbally or handwritten to your staff will benefit from the added privacy of the Patient Portal. You’ve also made it easier to enter required information in a way that’s guaranteed to provide legible data that flows directly into ClinicTracker EHR. Before the client arrives for that first appointment, you’ve got everything necessary to proceed with the intake – even insurance eligibility verification.
Because patients can see available openings in real time, they can make choices based on location, clinician, service, date, and time. Scheduling across time zones is possible too. Once the patient selects their preferred slot, the system automatically sends notifications to the clinician and appropriate members of your scheduling team. The patient will also receive an email confirmation. Patients can confirm or cancel upcoming appointments, search for new appointment availability, and choose to receive appointment reminders by phone or text message. Online scheduling allows patients to feel connected to your office, while eliminating unnecessary phone calls with your staff.
Clients can complete forms, tests, rating scales, and surveys whenever your staff requests. You simply send the patient a notification using the Secure Messaging system. When patients log into the portal, they will see a list of forms to complete, along with your notes and instructions. Clicking a link brings them to the form which they can then complete, revise, save, and submit (even with a digital signature). The information they provide goes directly into their patient record in ClinicTracker. The system also notifies the appropriate staff members when the data arrive.
What’s unique about ClinicTracker’s Patient Portal is that it can transmit forms that you can build using our powerful Form Builder utility. That means you devise just about any form you want for clients to complete via the web. Staff and administrators love that they can create a whole new world of possibilities for data gathering, tracking, and patient engagement – all seamlessly integrated into the ClinicTracker platform.
Online Bill Pay
ClinicTracker's built-in credit card processing significantly streamlines payment collections. Online Bill Pay takes it one step farther by allowing patients to pay their invoices online without any staff intervention. Clients appreciate this feature because it's private, convenient, and easy to follow. Here's how it works:
- Log into the Patient Portal and click the My Account link
- Review account status (including aging and insurer balances)
- Press the Pay My Bill Online button
- Choose which invoices to pay, either in full or in part
- Enter credit card information and press the Submit button
The system will send an email receipt to the client (or authorized representative) and notify designated office staff. The payment is recorded immediately in both the Patient Portal (where the patient can view it or generate a receipt) as well as within BillingTracker. The process is completely automated.
Boost client engagement with modern client-office communication. Your patients can send and receive HIPAA-secure messages while interacting with their treatment team. When a new message arrives, the patient will be notified by email that it’s available on their portal account. For the staff’s convenience, messages from both patients and colleagues are organized in the Unified Messaging System within ClinicTracker. Composing a message to a patient is simple, with no email addresses to remember or complex security procedures involved. The system will also let you coordinate communications with the patient’s authorized representative.
The Patient Portal also will improve your agency's branding. Clients will appreciate your dedication to making their lives easier and empowering them to take a degree of stewardship over their treatment experience. You can even style the portal with your own logo, color scheme, and contact information. It's a tangible way of upgrading your approach to client engagement.
Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (EPCS)
You can extend ClinicTracker's ePrescribing module with a feature called EPCS (Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances) Gold. With EPCS Gold (powered by DrFirst), you can seamlessly send controlled substance prescriptions to retail or mail order pharmacies within the same workflow you use to prescribe legend drugs. It makes prescribing more efficient, advances patient medication adherence, and increases convenience for your patients. After an initial credentialing and identity-proofing process (mandated by the DEA), prescribers can begin ePrescribing Schedule II-V drugs. To avoid any confusion and eliminate guesswork by providers, EPCS Gold automatically detects which substances can be sent electronically.
High Caliber Security
- EPCS Gold is the first and foremost Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)- and Surescripts-certified solution for e-prescribing
- Legal since 2010 at the Federal level, controlled substance e-prescribing is also approved in 49 U.S. States and the District of Columbia, and more than 40% of pharmacies nationwide accept controlled substance e-prescriptions (Read More).
- DEA mandated Two-Factor Authentication Protocol for all provider registrations (key-chain or soft-token)
- Provider authentication through third-party identity proofing process
- Prevent prescription drug abuse
- Avoid patients who are doctor shopping
- Reduce fraud and abuse - no paper prescription pads to be stolen, altered, or forged
- Be audit-ready with management reports
- EPCS Signing Module lets you sign and submit Controlled Substance prescriptions electronically
- Displays DEA-mandated content
- Generates a digital signature for the prescription at the application level
- Transmits prescriptions in SCRIPT 8.1E format
- Receives and forwards prescription transmission responses, including status and error
- Logs all application activity for audit purposes
ClinicTracker Connect partners with DrFirst to deliver a fully integrated ePrescribing system for behavioral healthcare providers. This SureScripts certified solution offers a sophisticated digital platform for writing and tracking prescriptions for legend and schedule II-V drugs. With 49 states and the District of Columbia accepting ePrescriptions for controlled substances, our prescribers can take advantage of this faster and more secure approach to managing prescriptions electronically.
Increase Patient Safety
- Reduced potential for adverse drug events caused by drug-drug/drug-allergy interactions
- Eliminate errors due to poor or misread handwriting
- Faster, more efficient patient notification in the event of an FDA safety alert
- Online availability anytime, anywhere
- Real-time patient medication lists pulled from three Pharmacy Benefit Management Systems
- Faster, one-click, multi-script prescription renewal process (case studies suggest a savings of 1-2 hours/day for office staff)
- Fewer pharmacy call backs
- Less time spent with pharmacy questions and renewal requests
- Fully-integrated solution means that medications entered in ClinicTracker are available for interaction checking
- Prescriptions written in DrFirst are available for import into ClinicTracker Progress Notes
- With EPCS Gold (powered by DrFirst), you can seamlessly send controlled substance prescriptions to retail or mail order pharmacies within the same workflow you use to prescribe legend drugs
- Eliminates calls from patients requesting alternative covered medication, mail order submission, or prior authorizations
Improve Patient Experience
- Lower out-of-pocket costs because providers can identify medications with lower co-payments (an average savings of $20-25 per prescription)
- Less time spent waiting at the pharmacy since prescriptions are sent ahead
- Reduced potential for adverse drug events caused by drug-drug/drug-allergy interactions, mistaken handwriting, or incorrect quantity
- Increased treatment compliance because of more cost-effective and convenient care
White Coat of Quality Award from SureScripts
JAG Products has been awarded the White Coat of Quality award for 2012 and 2013 for our implementation of the DrFirst system within ClinicTracker Connect. The White Coat of Quality Award is SureScript’s highest recognition for software providers that uphold strict standards for clinical quality and best practices in ePrescribing.
ePrescribing is one of the key elements of the Meaningful Use program and will help you to meet six of the criteria. For more information about Meaningful Use and ClinicTracker's Stage 2 certification, click here.
New York Prescribers
New York State has initiated a program called Internet System for Tracking Over-Prescribing (I-STOP). DrFirst offers educational webinars on this program, the enrollment process, and how to ePrescribe controlled substances.